With so many brands and styles of fitness band on the market, it can be hard to choose the right one.
Fitness trackers are the best and most accessible way to track your daily activity and take steps to improve it.
They go everywhere, and they all count your steps.
Once you begin wearing and using the right fitness tracker for you, you’ll get an amazingly clear picture of your lifestyle.
After wearing a tracker for a while, most people find it’s shocking and quite eye-opening to learn what their numbers are. And with the right device, it can be life-changing in the best possible way.
But it’s important to know this – none of them are going to be perfectly accurate.
Nope, not one.
This post was written to help you to focus on picking through the best choices and direct you away from the ones that are remarkably terrible!
Coming up will be some criteria for you to consider which will hopefully help you to buy the one that fits best with your needs.
How to Determine the Best Fitness or Activity Tracker to Buy?
The decently good ones can also track your sleeping habits, or track what you eat. But the best ones actually do something with all that data to help you. They’ll crunch the numbers and tell you maybe you should stop drinking coffee so late at night, or that you tend to be more active throughout the day when you eat right after you wake up.
The top fitness trackers that can really change the way you live:
#1 Jawbone Up24
- Keeps track of your steps, calories burned, weight, workouts and more (but not heart rate)
- 2 LED lights to indicate day and night mode
- Shoes how your day and night affect each another with The Insight Engine
- Food & drink tracking will monitor what you consume
- Commit to personalized, achievable goals with Today I Will
- Bluetooth enabled to connect with your computer and other wireless devices including Apple and Android devices
- Rechargeable battery (lasts about a week & takes approx 1 hour to fully recharge)
- Use the social app to connect with your friends – comment on each others workouts and set your mood for the day
- 1 yr warranty
Jawbone’s customer support is superb. This is what gets them the full 5 stars. Their customer service department will help you with any tech issues and even band replacement at no extra cost. The battery gives you a pretty long charge – usually about 7 days of life.
While the UP is not rated to track your swimming, there haven’t been any issues reported from swimmers leaving it on in the water. Nice to know that you can just leave it on all the time, even in the pool or at the beach. Since it’s comfortable to wear, it’s nice to just be able to leave it on all the time, no matter what you are doing and not have to worry about it.
The second best: GARMIN VIVOFIT
- Red Move Bar – this will motivate you to become active when you see the red move bar which shows up after an hour of inactivity
- Other segments light up for every 15 minutes of inactivity. You just need to walk for a 2-3 minutes to reset.
- So very comfortable plus water resistant you can wear it 24/7
- The battery has a long life – can last for more than 1 year
- Display is easy to read display
- See the time, day and your stat
- Achieve your goals – Vivofit learns your activity level and assigns a personalized goal each morning. Count calories – Records calories burned throughout the day including base metabolic rate.
- Monitor your sleep – Set the sleep mode when you go to bed to track the quality of your rest
- Available in black, gray, blue, green, purple, red
A lot of people really love that the battery lasts almost a year so you don’t need to worry about charging it. This seems to be important and valuable to many folks.
Another plus for many is the large display face, while some would prefer the look of a Fitbit Flex which only has the indicator lights. It’s all about your personal preference. But note that the Vivofit isn’t back-lit, so the large display doesn’t help at all at night!
7 Other Fitness Trackers Worthy to Consider
FITBIT ONE (4.5 / 5)
- Monitors and counts steps, distance, calories burned, and stairs climbed
- Keeps track of how long and how well you sleep
- Has a silent alarm to wake you
- Can syncs to your computer and other devices using Bluetooth
- Set goals, view progress with charts and graphs, and earn badges
- Share your data and even compete with friends all through each day
- Free iPhone and Android Apps
- No once needs to see it – so small you can keep in a pocket, on your belt or bra
- Fitbit’s website or apps let you log food, weight plus more
- Water resistance makes it rain, sweat and splash proof
- Rechargeable battery
The biggest frustration some people report about the Fitbit One is that using it for both daytime & sleep monitoring means having to remove it from the rubber clip, putting it in the wrist strap, and reversing this process every day. After a few days, this can feel like a chore and you may even forget to put it back onto your belt or whatever yu clip to in the morning showering & dressing.
This isn’t an issue with a device like a Jawbone Up since you can just leave it on your wrist all the time – even in the shower. No annoying moving it from clip to pouch to clip, or forgetting it at home in the morning.
FITBIT FLEX (4.3 / 5)
- Tracks steps, distance, calories burned, and active minutes
- Log food, weight, and more on Fitbit’s website or apps
- Monitors how long and how well you sleep
- Wakes you with a silent wake alarm
- LED lights indicate how your day is progressing compared to your goal
- Set some goals, view your progress, and earn badges
- Share and compete with friends throughout the day
- Syncs automatically with select mobile devices and to your computer
- Free iPhone and Android App
- Launch your Fitbit app fast & easy by tapping your device with your NFC-enabled Android phone
- Easy-to-wear, slim, and very comfortable
- Available in black or slate colors
- Other colored accessory bands available in Teal, Tangerine and Navy
- Wear all day and night – even in the shower
- Rechargeable battery
The Flex by Fitbit is a lot like the Up24. Although some might not think it looks as good as the Up24, it’s actually more comfortable to wear. It does do a really great job with counting your steps, tracking distance and even the amount of calories burned.
One con against this device if that it can take several hours to re-charge. Now, the charge does last for several days, but when you take it off the charge it’s not tracking your activity. And also not the if you sync your device often, that will deplete the charge more quickly too.
FITBIT ZIP (4 / 5)
- Tracks steps, distance and calories burned
- Syncs automatically to your computer or select Bluetooth Ready devices (iPhone 4S or later, and the iPad (3rd generation)
- Set goals, view progress, and earn badges
- Share and compete with friends throughout the day
- Free iPhone and Android Apps
- Small and discreet enough to wear in your pocket, on belt or bra
- Log your food, weight and more on Fitbit’s website or apps
- Resists water making it sweat, rain, and splash-proof
- Replaceable battery lasts 4-6-months
MISFIT SHINE (4 / 5)
One nice feature about this tracker is that it doesn’t look like one! It has a long lasting battery that doesn’t need to be recharged too often.
And since it’s also waterproof, it perfect for swimmers and even allows you to go 50 feet in depth.
- Activity and sleep tracker that inspires you to live a more active life
- Shine emits a halo of lights that shows your progress towards your daily activity goal while still looking more like a fashionable accessory than a tracker
- Tracks running, walking, cycling, swimming (up to 50 meters deep) and other sports
- Let the Misfit app then turn all of your hard work into displayed on easy to read charts
- By seeing your daily stats like steps, calories, distance and sports activities will help you see where you are headed and help you get to where you want to be
- The long-lasting battery and automatic wireless syncing means your charge lasts for a few days before needing to be re-charged and uses a standard watch battery when it does need to get replaced
Shine can be worn anywhere and for any occasion. Dress it up or dress it down, you pick. There’s a range of accessories to change it up and match it to any look. Including a sports band, leather bands, necklaces and even clips. All have been designed with comfort and versatility with style in mind.
If your main goal is to move more and lose a few pounds, this simple device might just be enough of what you need.
WITHINGS PULSE 02 (3.7 / 5)
In 2014 the Withings Pulse O2 had a revamp to the firmware in order to add new features and make it more versatile.
Other than that, it’s not much different than the former version. Even with the added features, we still don’t rank this activity tracker at the top of the list.
- tracks steps, elevation, distance, running, calories burned, heart rate, sleep duration and quality, blood oxygen level
- helps you to set and reach your goals with real time coaching
- integrates with 100+ partners
- compatible with Bluetooth devices
- use free apps form the App store and Google play
BASIS BAND (3.5 / 5)
They like to claim this is the only complete health tracker. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Tracks heart rate, perspiration, skin temperature, steps, and calories.
- Has a carbon steel ed. Was upgraded with a more comfortable strap for a luxurious fit and finish that is also water resistant.
- Automatically tracks Running, Walking, Biking and Sleep without pressing any buttons.
- Advanced sleep tracking shows periods of REM, deep, and light sleep.
- Syncs via Bluetooth with iOS, Android.
- It may not track your heart rate while moving as this is intended as compliment and not as a replacement for chest strap-based heart rate monitors.
Basis Peak came out on November 10, 2014. Available in Black or White.
SAMSUNG GEAR FIT (3.5 / 5)
- 24/7 Wearable: Always-on activity tracking keeps track of your activities throughout the day and is prepared for any adventure with its dust and water resistant protection (IP67). Light and durable with a curved Super AMOLED display.
- Personalized Fitness Motivator: With the Heart Rate Sensor, Samsung Gear Fit gives you real time coaching to actively support and motivate you to achieve your fitness goals.
- Simple Interaction: Samsung Gear Fit allows you to easily control basic functions, such as, reject calls with messages, quick reply to messages and control alarms.
- Connected Notification: Samsung Gear Fit equips you with instant notifications of emails, SMS, incoming calls, & 3rd party apps to keep you connected.
- Compatible with Samsung Galaxy devices